Posts Tagged badges
I’ve never used Edmodo in the classroom before. At my previous school I used Moodle heavily, but lately it just looks too ugly for me to stomach. That does seem silly to me on some level, since I’m familiar with it, I’ve got a ton of materials already uploaded to it, and my current school is enthusiastically encouraging us to use it as well.
Why is it that when the administration really wants me to do something, I find myself yearning to do something else?
But I also think that the way the site looks plays a huge role in how effective it is. It’ll only be effective if the kids want to use it. And they’ll only want to use it if it’s not ugly. That’s the logic I’m working with. And the logic that Edmodo seems to be working with is: make this thing look like Facebook. I like that idea. And I like knowing that it’s a completely safe community, geared toward classroom use. I know plenty of teachers have facebook groups with separate teacher-identities, but that whole thing makes me nervous. And I don’t even work in Missouri.
I’m also really excited about the ability to create badges to award my students. I hope I follow through with that.
Apparently they’ve got 2.5 million users now. And I’m about to add 120 more.
Who is Yoni?I'm a high school English and Journalism teacher. I like experimenting with technology in my classroom, so I often blog on that.
- badges bullying classconnect comments computer lab constructivism culture curriculum digital divide diigo editing edmodo ednovo ed tech edtech education education technology email english extension facebook failure fakebook feedback feminism flipped classroom frosh future google googledocs gooru grading software high school homework homophobia IMBES inspiration jing Khan kinesthetic learning librarians library lms management noredink open education paper poe popplet projector race reading research school sexual harassment shakespeare smartphones social networking teaching technology testing tests tools video web 2.0 word documents writing youtube
- I don't really tweet, but if you happen to see this, I have this podcast @lovesongsthepod 5 months ago
- @KristinMcKeown @leverus Whaaa?!! Thank you both! That was unexpected. 4 years ago
- RT @JimGaffigan: We shouldn't feel better. "@TheDSever Gaffigan- You're a father, and a funny comedian. Say something to make us feel be ... 5 years ago
- RT @realfreemancbs: Stanford just tied overrated ass USC. 5 years ago
- @joellerudick thanks again, Jo! Didn't realize I was writing about OntCl. 5 years ago